Friday, March 21, 2008

New Findings...

photo from http://www.myspace.com/jonathanclay

So, having been devoid of any American radio or music publications, I've spent the last two months playing the same 5 star songs on my iTunes. Last night, after cycling through the iPhone playlists about 10 times before giving up, I decided it was time to fine someone new to listen to.

The best way to find new music, I've discovered, is to play, what I like to call, "musical top friends." This of course refers to MySpace. Pretty much I hit up the pages of my favorite artists, click one of their top friends, give their tracks a listen, if I like them, I add them, if not, I click their top friends, and just keep going.

Today's discovery: Jonathan Clay.

He's an acoustic guitarist with a touch of soul from Texas, and has a sound similar to that of Matt Wertz and a hint of Ryan Cabrera. This isn't to call him cheesy by any means. His songs are easy to listen to and the lyrics are something to which everyone can relate. Ok... I'll admit that he is one of those MTV reality/teen/drama/whatever background feature artist, but I actually enjoy listening to his tracks... and I can't stop listening to "After All." He has two albums available, Whole New Me, and most recently released, Back to Good. Both of these are available on his website.

I'm kind of bummed I won't be able to catch him in concert soon, but he is on tour now in the US. So if he's in the area, give him a chance, I'm thinking he might actually have talent.

4.4.08 - University of Wisconsin - Green Bay, WI
4.8.08 - UCLA De Neve Plaza - Los Angeles, CA
4.10.08 - Cafe Caffeine - Austin, TX
4.21.08 - Work Play Theatre - Birmingham, AL
4.22.08 - Third and Lindsley - Nashville, TN
4.23.08 - Eddie's Attic - Atlanta, GA
4.24.08 - Sirens Lounge - Durham, NC
4.30.08 - Mojo 13 - Wilmington, DE
5.1.08 - Canal Room - New York, NY
5.6.08 - Radio Radio - Indianapolis, IN
5.7.08 - Canopy Club - Urbana, IL
5.8.08 - Schubas - Chicago, IL
5.10.08 - Cafe Montmarte - Madison, WI
6.7.08 - Whitewater Live Music Amphitheater - New Braunfels, TX
6.20.08 - The Belmont - Austin, TX
7.21.08 - Magnolia, TX

for more information visit:
http://www.myspace.com/jonathanclay
http://www.jonathanclay.com

No comments: